Published with Permission by ASSIST… ** You may republish this story with proper attribution.
Friday, June 5, 2009
The Results Are In: Albuquerque-Based Poll Examines Resident’s Religious Service Attendance/Bible Literacy
By Tom Garrity, The Garrity Group
Special to ASSIST News Service
ALBUQUERQUE, NM (ANS) — Three hundred Albuquerque residents agreed to participate in a poll regarding their faith and the Bible. The results were released Friday, June 5, by Calvary of Albuquerque Senior Pastor, Skip Heitzig, and renowned Christian speaker and author, Josh McDowell.
After the highly noted Newsweek article, “The Decline and Fall of Christian America” was released, Calvary of Albuquerque enlisted highly-respected Washington D.C., McLaughlin and Associates survey research company, to conduct an Albuquerque-based poll to get an understanding of locals’ view on faith and the Bible.
Concerning the motive for this project, Pastor Skip Heitzig said, “We conducted this poll to help us better understand the level of biblical literacy in Albuquerque. I believe that when people truly understand the message of the Bible, their lives will change for the better. This improves our families, and it will impact our community.”
Well-known author and speaker, Josh McDowell, pointed out the importance of biblical literacy: “It’s important we know what the Bible says because if Jesus Christ was who He claimed to be, and He did die on a cross at a point of time in history, then, for all history past and all history future it is relevant because that is the very focal point for forgiveness and redemption.”
The poll of 300 adults (48% males and 52% females) in Albuquerque was conducted on May 27th, 2009. All interviews were conducted via telephone by professional interviewers. Interview selection was random. The poll of 300 adults has an accuracy of ±5.7% at a 95% confidence interval, results include:
- 77% of respondents knew that Genesis was the first book in the Old Testament
- 90% of respondents knew that Moses was the man that God gave the Ten Commandment to
- 74% of respondents knew that Israel was the “nation that God promised to establish, protect and bless”
- 61% of respondents knew that it was Jesus “who gave the sermon on the Mount”.
- 51.7% answered incorrectly when asked “Which book of the Bible records the missionary journeys of Paul the Apostle?”
- 52% of respondents answered incorrectly when asked, “Which son of King David also became a famous & wealthy king?” 48% answered correctly with Solomon
- 94% of respondents answered correctly when answering true to, “The Bible claims Jesus died on the cross for the sins of all mankind.”
- 97 respondents answered that they attend religious services regularly, 99 respondents answered that they did not attend regularly, and 60 respondents answered that they attend services once a week.
- 98 respondents answered that they read the Bible regularly and 101 respondents answered that they do not read the Bible regularly.
Published with Permission… ** You may republish this story with proper attribution.